Monday, May 25, 2009

Date Palms - Getting ready for the summer




A few days back I blogged about the
arrival of the summer in Dubai.

One of the other activities that also signal the arrival of the summer is the cleaning of the date trees that happens at about this time each year. The date palm trees are cleaned by the municipality workers probably in anticipation of a good crop. The photo above shows one such worker perched on top of a tree somewhere in Jumeirah chopping off dried palms and other waste.


You may also want to visit my other post on 'dates' here

Edited on 26th May
Moryati adds: In Arabic, what he is doing is called 'tas'eef', to keep the trunk trimmed and clean. Not only it makes the palm look nice and presentable, cutting those layers short and not allowing them to grow excessivly helps prolong the palm's life. Parasites and other contiminents tend to gether in between those extensions and could eat away thru the palm's body.
Hi Moryati: Thanks for the additional and important info on the subject

4 comments:

123 said...

your pictures are beautiful! i found your blog by accident but still looked through every picture! you have a gift!

moryarti said...

In Arabic, what he is doing is called 'tas'eef', to keep the trunk trimmed and clean. Not only it makes the palm look nice and presentable, cutting those layers short and not allowing them to grow excessivly helps prolong the palm's life. Parasites and other contiminents tend to gether in between those extensions and could eat away thru the palm's body.

Also makes it easier to climbe to gather all the goodies way on top ;)

Susan said...

Whenever I see this happening I don't have my camera with me. Love watching them do this!

Susan said...

Whenever I see this happening I don't have my camera with me. Love watching them do this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...